As I study, I also listen to informative podcasts and would like to share a recent find: The Reversing Diabetes Summit 2014, which can be accessed by typing the following into your search bar: http://thediabetessummit.com/
Although this conference talks about all interventions that pertain to Diabetes Mellitus, all the experts agree that the best prevention includes dietary and lifestyle changes. Some simple dietary approaches that NDs use are diets that follow a low glycemic load and maximize foods that are high in fiber and rich in micronutrients (think vegetables, vegetables, vegetables).
Some of my favourite things to do on a daily basis to prevent diabetes and optimize health?
- sprinkle 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed on your salad or in your Magical Morning Smoothie
- eat 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen berries
- eat 1 square of 70% or above dark chocolate
- eat at least 1 serving of fermented food (organic kefir, organic goats milk yogurt, unpasteurized sauerkraut, miso soup, kimchi, sugar-free kombucha tea)
- add garlic and fresh ginger to your cooking
- aim for 5 servings of vegetables (a serving is the size of your fist)
In terms of nutraceutical and herbal interventions, there are a number of vitamins and herbs that are extremely helpful to reverse and prevent diabetes and working with a Naturopathic Doctor or an Integrative Medical Doctor to assess your individual nutritional needs is best. Click here to find a list of practitioners of Integrative MDs and NDs in Canada.