Only just a year ago this was a frightening idea for me. I had worn make up for the last 7 years and stepping out of the house without it left me feeling, well, naked.
What changed my mind was when I asked the most beautiful woman I know how she maintained skin that didn't look a day over 25 for the past 15 years (Nobody believes she's 40!). What products did she use? Turns out the answer is what products she didn't use. She told me: "I have never worn face make up in my entire life, and I truly believe it has made all the difference."
For me, years of wearing pore-clogging makeup were not the easiest to reverse and I am still working on getting my skin back to its natural lustre but I can tell you that it has improved dramatically with these techniques that you may find helpful in easing your skin through the transition:
1. If you are a full coverage kind of girl, transition to a tinted moisturizer. Once you see your natural beauty shine through your makeup, the step to bare skin will be easier.
2. Make sure your skin is squeaky clean but don't be too rough with it! I make sure to clean my skin every night with a very mild soap and then I use an alcohol free toner with witch hazel and lavender to sooth any inflammation and further tighten my pores (witch hazel is an excellent astringent) without irritating or stripping my skin.
3. Use a mask to help remove any impurities that may have built up from makeup use. I buy white clay from my health food store and make it into a paste with a bit of water and apply it to my face after a shower. Wait until the clay is completely dry (about 20 minutes) and then remove it gently with a warm, damp facecloth. I also use Moor Mud, but it is a bit more difficult to find.
4. Make sure to moisturize! You want your skin to be able to breath (ie no makeup) but you also want it to be protected from the elements. The best way is to use a natural moisturizer every morning before you leave the house. I suggest the Pure + Simple line, but any natural product that is free of chemicals will do.
5. Eat a clean diet. The first signs of ill health appear on the skin, so be conscious of your diet as well as drinking enough water to further aid toxin elimination.
I hope this helps you reveal the naturally beautiful you!
Have a wonderful day!